Schneider Electric Bluebird Network Unveil Expanded Underground Data Center
- Completed Phase One of the Bluebird Network expanded underground data center 85 feet beneath the earth’s surface developed with Schneider Electric services, solutions
- Schneider Electric solutions provide complete control over underground data center environment; support 100 percent uptime assurance
- Phased approach offers ability to scale and grow as needed without interrupting operations
ANDOVER, Mass. – July 7, 2016 – Schneider Electric, the global specialist in energy management and automation, along with Bluebird Network, today opened the Bluebird Network expanded underground data center 85 feet beneath the earth’s surface. Schneider Electric’s Data Center Service Provider (DCSP) team developed a three-phased approach for expanding Bluebird’s underground data center to implement tailored solutions throughout the data center lifecycle, including Building Management System (BMS) integration services, Uniflair cooling solutions, Remote Power Panels (RPPs) and more, without interrupting ongoing operations.
Bluebird Network, a leading high-speed broadband fiber optic transport provider servicing carrier, enterprise, and data center customers in the Midwest, was looking to grow and attract new customers to its existing 80,000 square foot underground data center and enlisted Schneider Electric’s specialized knowledge to deal with the many challenges of expanding 16,000 square feet into an underground limestone mine.
“The acquisition and expansion of the underground data center are key accomplishments for the Bluebird leadership team, resulting in major opportunities to grow the Bluebird business and bring economic growth to the local community in southwest Missouri,” said Jeff Holland, Director, Design Services, Schneider Electric. “Our team of data center experts understand the unique considerations of implementing an underground data center compared to traditional above ground facilities. We took
a holistic approach to ensure everything from the outlet customers plug equipment in to, to the 2MW back-up generators, are operating at an optimal level.”
Schneider Electric was selected to support the Bluebird Network philosophy of “Below Ground. Above Standards,” because of its breadth of knowledge, broad product line and ability to develop a long-term, step-by-step strategy. Key capabilities include:
- Design guidance through three-phased approach: To allow the Bluebird operations to continue without interruption, Schneider Electric implemented a three-phased approach beginning with an assessment of the existing infrastructure and potential design options for the expansion. This approach offered the ability to scale and grow in three phases, initially preserving capital expense and laying out a plan to add capacity as required by future demands.
- Support of 100 percent uptime assurance: Schneider Electric’s Building Management System (BMS) integration services empower Bluebird to provide customers with 100 percent uptime assurance by ensuring the newly developed space is integrated into their existing BMS, allowing visibility into overall building and IT operations. Through this interoperability, Bluebird is able to gain greater control, improved performance and more real-time visibility into operations to immediately react to issues as they arise. Additionally, RPPs enable agile, safe and efficient power distribution to the IT racks.
- Complete control over environment: Schneider Electric’s leading edge precision Uniflair cooling solution supports temperature and humidity maintenance within the Bluebird data center. These intelligent units monitor the status of components and environmental parameter to ensure correct functionality during all modes of operation. The underground environment, coupled with Schneider Electric solutions, gives Bluebird complete control over the data center temperature.
- Schneider Electric’s solutions and highly-reliable data center services have enabled the Bluebird Network to minimize disruption and maintain continuity of its core business, while simultaneously working through the expansion. For more information on Schneider Electric’s data center solutions and services, visit the Schneider Electric website.
About Schneider Electric
Schneider Electric is the global specialist in energy management and automation. With revenues of ~$30 billion in FY2015, our 160,000+ employees serve customers in over 100 countries, helping them to manage their energy and process in ways that are safe, reliable, efficient and sustainable. From the simplest of switches to complex operational systems, our technology, software and services improve the way our customers manage and automate their operations. Our connected technologies reshape industries, transform cities and enrich lives. At Schneider Electric, we call this Life Is On.
About Bluebird Network
Bluebird Network, LLC, headquartered in Columbia, Missouri, was formed by integrating Bluebird Media, Missouri Network Alliance, Illinois Network Alliance and the Bluebird Underground Data Center. This integration created a leading Midwest telecommunications company that provides 6,000 fiber route miles of high-speed broadband and fiber optic connections to Midwest communities and a data center in Springfield, Mo. Bluebird fiber network has over 127 Points of Presence (POP) sites spanning the Midwest including the major cities of Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Springfield, Tulsa, Omaha, Des Moines, and Memphis. Bluebird has a national reach through its partner, INDATEL Group, which connects the fiber-optic networks of independent telephone companies across the United States. To learn more, please visit www.bluebirdnetwork.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.